Pork Meatball Recipe - Four Happy Balls (Si Xi Wan Zi)
In banquet or holiday, there's always a dish called Si Xi Wan Zi(means Four Happy Ball), or Lion Head if appears single. Four (meat) happy balls represent four happiest thing in life:
1st happy thing: JIU HAN FENG GAN LU: There comes a rain after long time dry weather;
2nd happy thing: TA XIANG YU GU ZHI: Meet old friend in other city/country;
3rd happy thing: DONG FANG HUA ZU YE: On the first night of marrying;
4th happy thing: JIN BANG TI MING SHI: When passing the palace examination.(In ancient China, a man will become a government officer when passing the palace examination. This means that he'll have a good career.)
Traditional Si Xi Wan Zi is made of ground pork with half fat) and water chestnut. Deep fry, then steam or stew.
Now we can make SI XI WAN ZI by using lean ground pork without fat, steam, add some sauce. Very healthy.
For those vegetarian, you can cook non-meat Si Xi Wan Zi.
Pork Ball Recipe - Steamed Si Xi Wan Zi
250g ground pork,
100g water chestnut
1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon dry cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon rice wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup crumb
1 teaspoon dry cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
1. Peel water chestnut. Cut into thin thread,then cut into very small grain.
2. Add all the ginger,garlic,shallot,dry cornstarch, soy sauce,salt, rice wine in the ground pork,stir evenly. Add water chestnut, stir at the same direction till pork becomes sticky or strong. Marinate for 30mins.
3. Add sesame oil, stir well. Divide into four equal meat paste. Take one, hold in one hand,pat to another hand. Repeat several times. This will make meat paste more solid. Coat with crumb.Roll into pork ball in hands. Put on a big plate, set aside. Repeat to finish other 3 balls.
4. Put the plate( heat-proof) on the tray of a steamer. Steam for 15mins. Turn off heat. You can see there is soup in the plate.
5. After cool, pour out the soup into a small bowl. Add cornstarch,stir well.
6. Heat oil in a saucepan, add tomato sauce, stir fry several times.Add the above soup 4. Stir well. Pour on the 4 pork balls. Serve.
Beneficial Function: Water chestnut clears away heat, promote diuresis, remove dampness, eliminate food stagnation, remove swell. Prevent flu, lung cancer and breast cancer.
Tip: Buy a block of ham pork, then you chop yourself. That'll be more delicious.Return from Pork Ball Recipe back to Healthy Pork Recipe homepage
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.