Boiled Plain Chicken - Shanghai Chicken
Boiled Plain Chicken is Chinese cold dish. Its Chinese name is "Bai Zhan Ji" or "San Huang Ji". Bai Zhan Ji to Shanghai is just like Beijing Roasted Duck to Beijing. There are lots of special restaurants only selling Bai Zhan Ji and related food in Shanghai streets.
"Bai" means "Plain". As it nearly adds any seasonings it's called "plain". So Boiled Plain Chicken reserved Chicken original flavor.
1 chicken, whole and cleaned
1 few coriander
2 ginger flakes
2 section shallot
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Prepare the sauce. Mix Seasoning B,this is the sauce when serve.
Prepare the chicken
2. Add clean water in a cooker. The water is enough to cover the chicken. Add Seasoning A. Bring to a boil,put the chicken in the cooker.
3. Bring to a boil again. Turn to low heat,skim. Cover,simmer for 13-15mins.
4. Use chopstick/fork to Prick through the thickest part of the chicken to check whether or not the chicken is cooked. If no blood comes out it's cooked.
5. When confirming cooked,quickly turn off the heat,take out the chicken and put in the cold cooked water. Take out after cool, rub a layer sesame oil on the surface of the chicken. Cut into small pieces, arrange on a plate,garnish with coriander.
Serving Method: Serve at lunch or dinner, serve with sauce.
Beneficial function: Improve our body immunity. Prevent cold in winter.
Don't eat when you are in fever.
Return from Boiled Plain Chicken Recipe to Chinese Chicken recipe homepage