Mutton soup is served in winter. This is because mutton has warm
energy. It can warm up us in cold day.
Yang deficiency people are always afraid of cold. They can promote Yang Qi by drinking medicinal mutton soup.
For ordinary people, you can prepare mutton white radish soup. Radish helps to remove unpleasant smell and promote metabolism.
Lamb chop is usually used to replace mutton to make soup. There two several reasons:
a. Boneless meat is not so soft and delicious as that of meat attached on bones when simmered long time;
b. Some nutritious material in the bones will penetrate to the soup after long time cooking.
So lamb chop soup is more delicious and nutritious than that of pure meat
Lamp Chop with Radish Soup
250g lamp chop or mutton
3 blocks daikon radish
1 section shallot
1 ginger flake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Wash lamp chop, cut into bite size.
2. Put lamp chops in a wok, add cold water and cover.
Bring to a boil. Throw away the soup. It's dirty.
3. Refill water, cover and higher 4 inches above of the mutton.
4. Add radish, ginger and shallot. Bring to a boil.
Turn to low heat. Simmer for 90 to 120mins.
5. Add salt for taste. Boiling for additional 10 minutes.
6. Turn off heat. Remove the surface oil. Serve warm.
Tip: If there are too much oil on the surface, you'd better cool the soup. The oil will be solidified if it's cold enough. Take out these oil blocks. Heat again. Serve warm.
Serving Method: Drinking soup, eat meat. One time each day. One
small bowl (a cup) each time.
Note: People especially seniors who often feel cold can serve this
soup in winter. Those who always feel hot don't drink mutton soup.
Here is some advices and tips for eating mutton.
Below is Medicinal mutton soup. It is a prescription recorded in an Ancient Chinese medical book "Qian Jin Yao Fang". It was used for women whose abdomen were cold-pain after baby delivery. Now it's widely used in treating diseases caused by coldness. Here is the reference symptoms and diseases.
Lamb Chop with Angelica and Ginger Soup
500g lamp chop
15g Angelica (Danggui, 当归）
8litre cold water
1. Soak Angelica and ginger in cold water for 15 minutes.
2. Wash mutton, cut into bite size blocks. Boil mutton, remove
3. Add mutton,Angelica, and ginger in a pot.
Add 8l water.
Bring to a boil,simmer for 90 to 120 minutes,or till the mutton
4. Turn off heat. Skim the surface oil. Scoop soup and 1 or 2 pieces of meat in a soup
Serving Method: Serve 200ml one time, including meat. 3 times a day.
Go to other Healthy Mutton Recipes