Daikon Radish Filled with Chinese Yam Recipe
Kewords: daikon radish recipe, Chinese yam recipe, vegan recipe, metabolism
Benefit of the recipe
This healthy vegan recipe helps to regulate metabolism, good for those who are with diabetes, obesity, hypertension, or heart diseases.
Let's get to know the ingredients first.
Chinese yam(Shan Yao, 山药, see picture) invigorates spleen, supplement lung qi and kidney qi, and preserve essence.
Raw daikon radish (LuoBo萝卜)promotes digestion, relieve cough, and resolve phlegm. Cooked daikon radish regulates metabolism. Daikon radish cannot be served with orange.
Lion’s mane mushroom(Hou Tou Gu猴头菇) promotes digestion, invigorates spleen, promotes appetite, and calms nerve.
1 daikon radish, big, at least 600g
2-3 Chinese yam stick, fresh
1 Lion’s mane mushroom 猴头菇
1/2 cup pumpkin, steamed
1 handful vermicelli 粉丝
1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon onion, chopped
1. Soak Lion’s mane mushroom over night or at least two hours.
Repeat to wash and squeeze water till the water is clear.
Split into small pieces. Set side.
2. Cut daikon radish into 3-4 1cm chips. Use two round shape but different size cookie cutters to make 3-4 radish cylinders, empty in center. Boil for 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Steam Chinese yam, peel, minced.
Steam pumpkin, minced.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a wok. Add Seasoning, stir fry Lion’s mane mushroom pieces 2-3 minutes, add a pitch of salt. Pour on minced Chinese yam, mix well.
5. Fill yam mixture in the radish cylinders. Arrange in a plate.
6. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet. Add minced pumpkin, a pinch salt, a tablespoon cornstarch (mixed in water). Stir till the mixture becomes smooth.
7. Sprinkle pumpkin mixture on the radish cylinders.
8. Heat a teaspoon oil in a skillet, place vermicelli. Take out quickly when it expands.
9. Arrange on the radish.
Tips: 1. You can find Chinese yam山药 and Lion’s mane mushroom猴头菇 online shop, or local Asian Stores.
1. It’s fresh Chinese yam, not dry. If you don’t have Chinese yam, use potato instead of.
2. If you don’t Lion’s mane mushroom, use other mushroom such as black mushroom.
3. Don’t boil radish too long. Add rice wine/red wine to remove smell when boiling.
This recipe is called Hiding in winter 冬藏. The cooked vermicelli like white snow while the yam and radish are hide in the snow. It’s the Dao of preserving health in winter. Like some animal’s hibernation human being also need to store energy in winter to meet the need of coming spring’s generating qi.