In Cumin Lamb Xinjiang style, cumin and lamb are good combination both from flavor and food therapy function. Lamb has a strange odor while cumin can remove it. Meantime the cumin's strong fragrance will enhance the lamb fresh flavor. Cumin has warm energy. It can dispel coldness, remove dampness, regulate QI's flow and stimulate appetite. This dish is effective to those who have stomach cold-pain, frequent pees caused by kidney deficiency, or abdomen cold-pain, etc.
Chinese Cumin lamb has many cooking versions. Here I'll introduce the simplest one, which is also Xinjiang local people always used.
No cooking oil is used. The seasonings are only cumin seeds and salt. Actually this makes me think of our ancestor's original cooking method.
250g(half pound) lamb leg
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 or 3 chili pepper(optional)
1. Drain well, cut lamb leg into 0.2cm thick,3-4cm wide and long flakes.
Cut chili pepper into small sections.
Press and grind cumin seeds by using rolling pin.
3. Heat the wok, add chili pepper.
Add lamb flakes, stir fry till turns to white color (it's cooked when turning to white color).
4. Add minced cumin seeds and salt. Stir fry till it becomes dry.
5. Arrange in a plate, garnish with radish.
1. You'd better buy a piece of clean meat.So you don't need to wash before cooking. If you wash it, drain well.
2. Cumin seed is more fragrance than its powder if grinded on-site.
3. There'll produce some water during stir frying. You can pour out if there is too much. Or ignore it. If you like to eat tender meat you can add cumin and salt earlier, and turn off heat earlier. but it won't be dry.
4. After eating meat, serve some radish can help digestion. (the red part in the plate is red radish)
Go to other Mutton(lamb) Recipes