Chinese beef noodle soup is very popular all around china. You can find small beef noodle restaurants in many streets, especially in residential areas. A bowl of beef noodle soup means being full and satisfied for those who are tired and hungry. It's a kind of down to earth food.
Famous brand beef noodle soups include Lan Zhou La Mian(兰州拉面), Xinjiang Beef Noodle, Taiwan Beef Noodle, California Beef Noodle. The first two are from northwest of China, which is salty and fresh. The original one is clear beef soup. The noodle is made on site. Lamian is hand-pulled noodle made by stretch. The last two should be from Taiwan, which taste fragrance and maybe a little sweet. They usually stir fry beef blocks first, so it's red braised beef.
No matter which brand or in what way to cook, the beef must be simmered for at least two hours. The best part for cook beef noodle is beef belly, beef brisket, or beef shank. It's better to have a little white tissue or fat layers, so that the meat is not so tight when bite.
In some big restaurants, beef soup is not from original stewed beef, it's from beef bone soup.
Below recipe is simple homemade Chinese beef noodle soup.
Prep : 10 minutes
Cook: 120 minutes
1b beef brisket
Six stalk bok choy
3 blocks daikon radish
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine
Seasoning A for simmer
1 anise star
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
2 piece cassia peel
1 black cardamon or white cardamon (option)
3 bay leaf
1 teaspoon liquorice 甘草
2 clove garlic
1 layer onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon crystal sugar (or white sugar)
Instructions for Chinese Beef Noodle Soup Recipe
1. Cut beef into bite size blocks, mix with Marinade.
Marinate over night in fridge.
2. Add 7,8 cups of water in a pot. Add beef blocks.
Bring to a boil, skim.
3. Put all ingredients in Seasoning A in a Gauze, tie a knot.
Place in the pot. Add daikon radish and Seasoning B in the pot.
4. Simmer for 120 minutes in low heat. Turn off heat.
For noodle and bok choy:
200g dried noodle
1. Prepare another soup cooker, add half water.
Bring to a boil.
2. Slowly slip in dried noodle while stir to separate each piece of noodle. Add bock choy.
3. Turn to medium to low heat. Boil the noodle till no hard core, about 5 minutes.
Bok choy should be cooked first. Take out and set aside.
4. Turn off heat, take out by a sieve.
Beef noodle soup
1. Arrange cooked noodle in a big bowl.
2. Pour in soup and beef.
3. Arrange cooked bok choy on the top.Serve.
1.When cooking beef, make sure to add enough water.
Don't take away the cover until after 2 hours when the beef is cooked.
2.Don't need to collect all the ingredients in Seasoning A.
3. In Seasoning A, hawthorn can make beef soft and tender.
You can find dried one in Asian Shops.If you cannot find, replace with 1/2 tea bag.
Go to other Chinese Beef Recipes