Stewed Beef with Green Bean and Noodle is called "Dou Jiao Meng Mian" meaning "Green been simmering Noodle". Noodle is layered and coveres on the green bean and potatoes. The noodle is cooked by the steamer. So it tastes al dente full of green bean and beef flavor.
It's originated from He Nan province, then developed in ShanXi province which is famous by making and cooking all kinds of flour. This dish is very popular in north of China including Beijing, but only in home cooking, rarely seen in restaurants. It's so delicious that we always eat till too full. So be careful.
This is main dish which can be prepared at dinner,in winter, or in holiday.
The first picture is made of broad green beans. It's more delicious as it contains less water.
The second picture is made of thin green beans (we can four-season green bean). We can find them in four seasons.
Preparation and cooking time:
60 to 90minutes for stewed beef,20-30 minutes for Simmer beef, green bean and noodle.
250g beef belly, boneless
250g green bean,
1 potato, medium
Several blocks carrot
200g fresh noodle
2 tbsp cooking oil
Marinade Sauce for Beef
1.Wash, cut beef belly into bite size blocks.
2.Marinate in Marinade Sauce overnight. (don't need to marinade if you are in a rush)
3.Put beef in a wok, add water covering the beef. Bring to a boil. Throw away the water. Leave beef in the wok. Add warm water covering beef. Add Sauce&Seasoning A.
4.Bring to a boil again. Then simmer for 60-90mins. It's done when the beef becomes tender, soft, and loose.
5.Clean the green bean, cut off the two end. Cut potato and carrot into bite size blocks.
6. Heat oil in a wok. Add Sauce&Seasoning B.
7. Add green bean, potato, carrot blocks. Stir fry for 1-2 mins. Add beef blocks, stir fry. Add hot water, cover. Bring to a boil.
8. Pour out the soup into a big container/bowl. Later you'll add back in the wok during cooking. Only leave a little soup in a wok to avoid becoming sticky.
9. Add a layer of noodle. Sprinkle some sesame oil. Spread another layer of noodle. Sprinkle sesame oil. Repeat till using up all the noodle. (Sprinkle sesame oil can prevent the two layers of noodle from becoming sticky).
10. Cover, simmer. Check every 2-4 mins to see if it becomes dry by swaying the wok. When it almost dry, slip in the soup along the noodle and green bean edge. It needs to add 3 or 4 times.
11. When the soup is used up, all the food is cooked. Or you can cut a piece of green bean and a block of potato by a spatula. When they break easily, it cooked.
12. Mix noodle with other food. Turn off heat.
Arrange in a serving plate, serve.
Function of Stewed Beef with Green Bean and Noodle: Warming up stomach and spleen.
1. Cooking beef takes longer time. You can replace with ground beef, or other sauce to cook vegetarian food. Then it'll only take 20-30mins.
2. The noodle is cooked by steam. Don't pour soup on the noodle. So that the noodle tastes al dente.
3. It's best if you can find fresh noodle (made on-site). Otherwise, if you use fine dried noodle you have to boil it to half cooked.
3. As there are potato blocks, it's easy to get sticky. So check frequently to prevent burned.
4. You can cook more beef one time, then store in fridge for later cooking other dishes.